Monday, March 21, 2011

Garden Locust (Acanthacris ruficornis)



Found this nymph (lenght approx 4cm) feeding on a marjoram plant in my herb garden. I only noticed him between the green leaves when he started jumping around as I watered the plants.


Adult garden locusts are dark brown in colour with a midline cream stripe running from the thorax  to the  wings.  White and red spines are found on the hind tibea.


The best way to distinguish between adult males and females is to look at the shape of the tip of the abdomen. The tip of the male's abdomen is smooth and rounded, whilst the female's is jagged.

In some parts of Africa these locusts are considered a delicacy.


1 comment:

  1. Just look at that handsome bugger! He knows what's nice! Marjoram, yum!

    I don't really find the idea of flame roasted locust appealing, but there is something enticing about the idea of marjoram fed, flame roasted locust! Served on a bed of cous-cous, I might be tempted! How very Mediterranean!

    Gorgeous photos, Pixie! I love! <3. XXX.

    ReplyDelete