Sunday, February 6, 2011

Silver-Striped Hawk Moth (Hippotion sp.)

Silver-Striped Hawk Moth (Hippotion sp.)
For the last couple of days I have searched in vain for interesting insects and spiders to photograph.  So, imagine my suprise on Saturday when I came across this Hawk Moth in our garden seeking shelter from the sweltering heat.  
The wingspan of the moth was +/- 70mm.  Its hind wings had beautiful pink bases, whilst its abdomen was covered in silver flecks.
These moths are found all over Afria, and are known to migrate occasionally. 


Unfortunately this was the only photo I could get of the moth's coiled proboscis.


Whilst photographing the hawk moth, I spotted this recently hatched grasshopper nymph on one of the succulent plant's leaves.  Approximate size was about 13mm.
Sunday afternoon ended on a high note when I discovered an Elegant Grasshopper feeding on a grass blade.  I will try my best to upload those photos within the next few days.

Have a good week all!


1 comment:

  1. Hmmm, stunning close-up of that moth! It feels as if you could just reach out and stroke its head. Very nice - I like!

    ReplyDelete