Saturday, December 4, 2010

3,2,1....BUNGEE!!!!!

Jumping Spider (Portia sp.)
Upon returning from work on Thursday, I found this little spider on my dining room table 'waiting for supper to be served'.  It was less than 2cm in size and very fast on its feet. This little fellow belongs go the Saliticidae (jumping spiders) family,  which is the largest spider family in the world. Its favourite food source - primarily other spiders!  YUCK!!!!! 

After releasing it back into 'the wild', I grabbed my camera to take a few photos.  It kept running up and down the stem of one of our succulent plants.  Eventually it found solice under a dried leave.  Still trying to 'capture' the perfect photo, I turned the leave around - AND GUESS WHAT I SAW.....

David and Goliath
Don't be too brave little spider! Sometimes its best just to turn around and 'walk' away.... 




I've battled for days to identify the spider in the pictures above.  Finally I decided to contact Mr Lambert Smith to ask him for help.  Here is what he had to say:

"From what I can see this appears to be a Baboon Spider from the family Theraphosidae. It is able to deliver a painful bite but is not known to be toxic to humans."
For more info on insects and spiders found in South Africa, visit www.insecta.co.za

"If you wish to live and thrive, let the spider run alive" Proverb



1 comment:

  1. Stunning photos! Once again, the detail is remarkable. I'm reminded that in some Native American stories, the Spider Woman was the creator of the universe (http://www.firstpeople.us/FP-Html-Legends/TheSpiderWomanandtheTwins-Hopi.html). However, I'm also reminded of the Catalonian proverb: "Where the girls are, there are no spider's webs."

    ReplyDelete