Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Intro To Underwater Photography - Phillip's Reef

Silvertip nudibranch (Janolus capensis)
Diving with Ocean Divers International has opened up a whole new world for me.  On my first dive with them the DM (dive master ) took us to a sand patch and indicated that we should sit  down for a moment.  I couldn't understand the reason for the 'request', but being the new kid on the block I did as I was told.  I still remember listening to the sound generated by my breathing aparatus and the bubbles flowing from it  - then all of a sudden I became aware of a whole range of other sounds created by the fish and the inhabitants of the reef.  I was in awe... how come I've never heard it before?  Maybe its because I got use to swimming from point A to point B and then returning to the back to the boat again...

A few months later I joined Juan Snyman on another dive at Phillip's Reef.   Not only  is he a qualified DM, but he's also a very keen underwater photographer.  Halfway through the dive he handed me his camera, and I immediately started to panic.  How does a person swim against the strong currents and still manage to take photos?  Well, I gave it a shot and I here some of my attempts:

Heart urchin (Spatagobrissus mirabilis)
Just for info - Phillip's Reef is situated in Algoa Bay and was named after Philip Coeztee, a marine biologist who did extensive research on this reef.  The maximum depth here is approximately 18 metres.
Choirboys (Podoclavella sp)
Frilled nudibranch (Leminda millecra)
What I enjoy most of underwater photography is returning home and sharing my diving experience throught my photographs with my husband and friends.

2 comments:

  1. Wonderful photographs! Even I cannot imagine that the underwater world will be so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @birdy - Thank you for the lovely comment!

    ReplyDelete