Sunday, December 19, 2010

Praying Mantis


Found this beauty enjoying the sun following two days of heavy rains. Its common knowledge that these insects can turn their heads 180 degrees.  What I did not know was that situated between its two large compound eyes are three tiny simple eyes.  The latter are used for light detection only.


Also spent some time photographing flowers in my parents' garden.  Unfortunately I had to use a high ISO setting as it was quite late in the afternoon.


Kissing Pollen Stems





















 

It was the perfect end to a good day....  d:-D

3 comments:

  1. Brilliant photos, once again, PhotoPixie! Love that Praying Mantis, and the kitty - both have such character.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grantthegeek - just found a very interesting site called 'The doorway to signs and symbolic meanings'. Found the write-up on the animal symbolism of the praying mantis very enlightening. Link - http://www.whats-your-sign.com/animal-symbolism-mantis.html
    They were never one of my favourite insects - but after reading the write-up I have changed my mind!!!

    ReplyDelete