Monday, December 6, 2010

The Haerlem Wreck

Cryptic Sponge Crab (Crytodromiosis spongiosa)

Last Sunday I joined several divers from Ocean Divers International on a wreck dive.  Since I started diving in 2002, The Haerlem, an SA Navy frigate scuttled in late November 1987, has been one of my favourite dive sites in Algoa Bay.  I can't really say why - maybe it has something to do with the eary feeling I get when I look into the portholes. On the top of the deck the average depth is approximately 18 metres and 21 metres at the stern.

Square-mouthed Striped Anemone (Anthothoe sp)

The wreck is home to a large number of leopard and pajama catsharks, soft corals and a variety of other fish, e.g. batfish.

A Leopard Catshark playing hide and seek....
The viz was particularly bad on the day of the dive - one metre at the most.  I buddied with Juan Snyman, who is one of the best divemasters in Port Elizabeth.  What I love most about diving with him is that he takes time in showing fellow divers all the little interesting sea creatures. 

Basket Star (Astrocladus euryale)

My two favourite sea creatures, with the exception of dolphines and whales, are basket stars and nudibranchs.  The basket star is a type of brittle star and often attaches itself to sea fans (see pic above).

Crowned Nudibranch (Polycera capensis)
Most nudibranchs or sea slugs have flamboyant colour patterns - a warning to potential preditors that they are distasteful or even poisonous.

Variable dorid (Aphelodoris brunnea -1)

Staghorn False Coral (Gigantopora polymorpha)
Nippled Sea Fan (Eunicella papillosa)
Black Nudibranch (Tambja Capensis)
Scollaped Lacy False Coral (Reteporella lata)
Cobbled Starfish (Calliaster baccatus)

No comments:

Post a Comment