Sunday, December 26, 2010

Robber Fly (Family Asilidae)

Silhouette of Robber Fly





A few days ago I found this bearded fellow sitting on a skirting board in our dining room.  Its head was covered with stiff , white bristles. At first I did not know what type of insect it was, until Grantthegeek and I came across Thomas Shahan's website. Mystery solved: It was a Robber Fly (Also known as an Assassin Fly)!
Sitting on a perch waiting for its next victim







Like the praying mantis, robber flies also have 3 simple eyes (ocelli) located in the depression between the two compound eyes. Another interesting fact :  A male should be vigilant when courting a female or she will fly out, stab him with her proboscis and eat him!!!

 

These flies are famous for catching its prey in mid-air.  The mouthparts consist of a triangular proboscis which is stabbed into the prey.  Enzymes are injected into the insect to liquefy the insides, so that it can be sucked up by the robber fly.  Yummy!!!!



I just love the colour of the compound eyes and the white 'beard' on this insect!  I'm really so glad I took an interest in photography as I'm learning more each day about mother earth and its inhabitants....

Finally, I just have to mention that my brother gave me gift vouchers from Exclusive Books for Christmas.  Can't wait to visit the shop to purchase a book on South African insect and spiders.  Tx, my Ironman!   :D

4 comments:

  1. Hey! Those Robber Fly pics are AWESOME! Very, very cool, PhotoPixie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you can see every hair on his furry little bum! Fly or not, he's a cute little bugger! Nice work, Shutterbug!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting information accompanied by great photography.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks to all three of you for the wonderful comments! Hope you have a FANTASTIC 2011! xxx

    ReplyDelete